In comparison with trams, transport by trolleybus was developed later. Its beginning on 14 February 1941 was marked by the opening of the first trolleybus service from the Gornobanski Pat stop to Gorna Banya.
The line was 3.3 km long and was serviced by only two trolleybuses.
Until the end of the Second World War, the function of trolleybus transport was difficult due to various reasons; the main one being the war and the impossibility to have spare parts delivered from abroad in order to maintain the fleet and the electrical grid, as well as to buy new trolleybuses to increase its size.
This trolleybus line remained unchanged until 1947 when, with the delivery of 10 MBT-82 trolleybuses the USSR, trolleybus transport started to develop at a fast rate.
On 01.01.1952 the newly-constructed Stochna Gara Depot was put into operation. Its capacity was 60 trolleybuses.
Having gained the necessary know-how Bulgaria began the manufacture of TB-51 (MTB082) trolleybuses in 1951.
The Nadezhda Depot with a capacity of 100 trolleybuses was put into operation in 1961.
The delivery of Czech Skoda-9Tp trolleybuses with contactor control began in 1964.
In 1986 were delivered 12 second-hand MAH trolley buses of the articulated variety.
In the following years, the composition of the trolleybus fleet became epitomized by Skoda-9TpH trolleybuses with thyristor control. During the period 1980-1989 were imported the following makes of trolleybuses and their respective numbers: 1984 – 20 brand-new Skoda 14 Tp – single, with pulse control of the thyristor rectifier; 1985 – 18 Gräf & Stift – second hand with contactor control.
In 1987 twenty five DAK Chavdar were assembled in Chavdar Plant in Botevgrad. Its mechanical part was made in Romania based on the B 1420 bus, while the control with an electronic thyristor regulator was Bulgarian-made.
From 1985 to 1988 were delivered151 new Ikarus 280T trolleybuses – articulated, with pulse control and 70 ZiU 682 with contactor control.
As the capacity of the existing Nadezhda Depot was filled in 1987, a new depot named Iskar was built with a capacity of 130 trolleybuses, while Levski Rank with a capacity of 60 trolleybuses was put into operation in 1994.
In 1994 the TRAMCAR Company manufactured 1 TK-130 trolleybus with electronic contactor control, which was put into regular operation in 1997.
In 2002 trolleybus transport conveyed passengers on 10 lines with total length of 105.5 km. On working days there are 111 trolleybuses in operation, served by 220 drivers.
The development of the trolleybus fleet accompanied the construction of the trolleybus network, the total length of which is 257 km. As at 2006 trolleybus transport conveys passengers on 9 lines with total length of 193 km. On working days there are 102 trolleybuses in operation.
Graef Stift GS 152 M18
Skoda Solaris 26Tr
12-meter trolleymanufactured bySkoda Electric,in cooperation withSolaris Bus & Coach.It was constructedin 2009inthe Czech Republic.
The model and its modifications are designed in Budapest, Hungary from 1976 to 1989. Currently he serves most of the metropolitan transport.
Videoclip about the trolleybus transport in Sofia (coming soon).
Map with trolleybus routes (coming soon).
Links for social groups and events regarding trolleys in Sofia (coming soon).